Wednesday, October 17, 2012

coach outlet online   I have special reference to your stuff in the sleeper

  "I have special reference to your stuff in the sleeper.""May I ask why, Mr. Sparling.""Because tonight will be the last night you will spend on the sleepingcar for sometime, in all probability.""I don't understand. Am I to leave the show?""Leave the show?""Yes, sir.""I should say not. You leave the show? I would rather lose any tenmen in it than to have you go away. I trust you never will leave it for anylength of time--at least not while I am in the business. No, you aregoing on a little trip--the show is going on a little trip. That is thesurprise I have in store for you. You will know tomorrow morning.
  Not another word now, Phil Forrest. Run along and get ready for theperformance."The Circus Boy hurried over to the dressing tent, full of curiosity andanticipation of what awaited him on the morrow. Strange to say, Phil hadnot the least idea what the plan of the owner of the show might be.
  The surprise was to be a complete one.
Chapter 5 The Circus Boys' Surprise
"Come, Phil and Teddy. I want you to take a little walk with me,"called Mr. Sparling early next morning after they had finished theirbreakfast.
  That morning orders had been given in each of the sleeping cars, forthe performers to pack their belongings, ready to be moved from the cars.
  The show people could not understand it, and gossip was rife amongthem as to the meaning of the unusual order.
  Orders also had been given to the various heads of departments toprepare to desert the train, bag and baggage.
  "Where are we going?" demanded Teddy suspiciously.
  "For a walk. You need not go along, unless you wish to," added theshowman.
  "Of course I wish to go. Do you think I want to stay on the lot whenanything is going on somewhere else, eh?""There would be plenty going on, if you remained. I am sure ofthat," replied Mr. Sparling, with a short laugh. "Come along, boys."Still wondering what it was all about, Phil and Teddy walked alongwith their employer. They passed on through the business street of thetown, then turned off sharply, heading for the north. A few moments ofthis and they turned to the left again.
  "Hello, there's the river," announced Teddy.
  "Yes, that is the river.""I wish I could take a boat ride.""You shall have one tonight.""Good!"Phil glanced at Mr. Sparling inquiringly.
  "Oh, look at that funny boat!" cried Teddy. "It's yellow. I've heardof a yellow dog, but I can't say that I ever heard of a yellow boat. And ithas a paddle wheel on behind. Well, if that isn't the limit! Why, thereare three of them. What are they, Mr. Sparling?"Phil's eyes already were widening. He had caught sight of somethingthat shed a flood of light on the mystery--the surprise that Mr. Sparlinghad in store for them. But he was not positive enough to commit himself.
  A moment more, and he knew he was not wrong.
  "Teddy, if you will read the words on the side of that boat nearest to us,you will understand, I think.""T-h-e," spelled Teddy.
  "The," finished Phil.
  "S-p-a-r-l-i-n-g, Sparling. C-o-m-b-i-n-e-d Shows. Well, what doyou think of _that?_""I hardly know what to think, yet," answered Phil Forrest. "TheSparling Combined Shows. Do you mean to say--?""I haven't said a word," answered Mr. Sparling, with a merry twinklein his eyes. "I am waiting for you to say something.""I--I am afraid I am too much astonished to say much. Do you meanwe are going to take to the river?""Exactly.""With the show?""Yes.""Hooray!""What's that?" demanded Teddy.
相关的主题文章:

No comments:

Post a Comment